Kitchen cabinets are an important part of a kitchen because they set the style, create a mood, and have functionality.
We adapted some Do’s and Don’ts found in this article via DoItYourself.com that you can use to guide you in your next kitchen remodeling project.
Since cabinets are the biggest item in your budget for kitchen remodeling, start thinking about:
- What type of work your kitchen needs (refinishing, replacing, or refacing)
- How much the project will cost
- The time it will take
- The added value you are investing in your home.
- Do consider refinishing your kitchen cabinets if you do not want to spend time and money on a big remodeling job.
- DO remember that if you are refinishing, it just a cosmetic makeover and not all cabinets and counter tops can be refinished.
- DO NOT paint metal cabinets, laminate or melamine cabinets. They are difficult to paint because they require special paints, and can peel and chip with normal paint.
- DO replace your cabinets if your floors have left your cabinets out of kilter or your cabinets and counter top are physically worn down.
- DO choose custom cabinet replacement if you want special size cabinets and a unique design feature. Custom cabinets are not a recommended do-it-yourself project to build or to install.
- DO discuss the specifications of your kitchen with us. Things to ask are what type of style, finishes, accessories and special features are available.
- DO consider the fact that this project will likely take a long time to complete, and you will not be able to use your kitchen for much of the time.
- DO NOT reface if your existing cabinet are beginning to fall apart or were not built properly.
- DO NOT reface if you have rusting metal cabinets or if your floors are warped and have left your cabinets out of kilter; you will need to replace your cabinets if this is the case.
- DO consider refacing if you are satisfied with your existing layout and plan to live in your home for a few more years but want a new style.
- DO (if you can afford to) look into changing your counter top, changing your wall color, and adding a few kitchen accessories to compliment your new kitchen style.
- DO consider refacing if your existing cabinets are in good structural condition and you have enough storage and counter space.
Looking to remodel your kitchen? Contact us today to find out about scheduling a free design consultation.